For an ecommerce website, more traffic means potentially high revenue. Ecommerce SEO optimization is, therefore, vital in increasing traffic, primarily due to competition in the digital marketing space and changing algorithms. Read on to find out how to enhance your ecommerce SEO strategy so that you get more leads into the funnel and more sales.
Developing an Ecommerce SEO Strategy
The success of your website greatly depends on your SEO strategy. This means you should work with an SEO expert who is in touch with the latest SEO practices, trends, and technology to ensure that you get it right the first time. With that said, here are a few things you should do to help you come up with an excellent ecommerce SEO strategy.
- Set clear goals and identify your priority pages. Whether you want high click-through rates or more conversions, you should be clear about your objectives. When working on your website, start with the most important pages. You can either optimize the page you want your visitors to focus on first or the one that gets the most traffic, be it the landing page or the product/service page.
- Do research on your competitors. Your main goal is to outshine your competitors in digital platforms and rank higher than them. You, therefore, need to conduct research on what strategies they are using and then come up with a better one that is not only unique to your business but also effective.
- Identify and segment your target audience. Your customer base will determine the content you put out and how you optimize your page to appeal to the demographic. When developing your ecommerce SEO strategy, identify who your target audience is and what they are interested in. Proceed to group them into unique segments depending on factors like age, gender, and income. This will help you customize your content to suit their specific needs and attract more clients and sales.
SEO Best Practices to Drive Traffic to Your Website and Increase Sales
After clearly outlining what you need to do, the next step is ecommerce SEO optimization to ensure that your strategy brings you the results you desire. To boost your traffic and sales, here are a few tips for your ecommerce SEO optimization that will ensure that your click-through rates increases as well as the traffic and conversions.
- Use the Right Keywords
You should never overlook the importance of using the right keywords in the right places on your website. Quality keywords will see you rank higher and improve your online visibility, which attracts more traffic to your site. The first step to using the right keywords is researching what terms or phrases your target audience use when doing their searches online. Also, find out the user intent with the given keywords and how competitive they are.
For highly competitive keywords, you will need to find long-tail keywords to sift you out from the crowd. Key phrases will also help you avoid keyword duplication and make your content flow naturally. To get the most out of your primary keywords, ensure they feature on the following parts in your website.
- Page title and page description
- Headlines and sub-headlines,
- Image file names and alt texts,
- Meta tags and descriptions
- Related keywords throughout the content
- URL and permalinks
- Internal and External Linking
Internal links are links that link to your site while external links direct readers to other sites. While internal links relate the different pages on your website and encourage visitors to stay longer and explore, external links are necessary for building authority.
Create a user-friendly link structure by linking to your products and pages naturally. You can achieve this by linking landing pages to different product categories, lining related and featured items as well as inserting internal links on your buying guides and blog posts. To earn external links, create quality content that is worthy of reference from other sites. Guest posting, using influencers and social media campaigns are also a great way to build external links and improve your ranking.
- Go Mobile
Search engines like Google and Bing are increasingly favoring websites that are compatible with mobile devices. Most people are always on their phones, which makes it sensible to create an ecommerce website that can be accessed via mobile and reaches many people. This way, you attract more significant traffic and increase your sales.
To make your website mobile-friendly, the text and content should be readable without needing to zoom or turn the device horizontally. The links on your site should also be adequately spaced for easy clicking and avoid software that isn’t present in most mobile phones.
- Improve Page Loading Speeds
Regardless of the steps, you take in your ecommerce SEO optimization to attract more traffic if visitors leave your page as soon as they click in, your efforts are fruitless. High bounce rates are mostly associated with slow loading pages as no one wants to wait when other sites are offering the same products and are easily accessible.
To improve page loading speed, de-clutter your website, and erase duplicate content and unnecessary junk. Large images and videos will also slow downloading speeds, so you may want to compress them. Lastly, cut down on plug-ins and add-ons that do nothing for your ecommerce goals. The result will be improved user experience and more sales.
- Optimize Content and Product Pages
Your content layout should be structured and easy to navigate. The visitor should not have to click more than four links to get to the products. Also, clearly outline and differentiate different sections using headings and sub-headings to make it easy for visitors to find what they are looking for and include an appropriate call to action (CTA). For written content, use simple language, short sentences, and bulleted points and ensure it is relevant and unique. Visual content like images and videos also add to user engagement and help in ranking.
The product page is the most important when it comes to making sales, so you want it in stellar conditions. For search engines to easily find your products, here is what you should do for your ecommerce SEO optimization.
- Include a keyword in the product name, and be sure to give a detailed description instead of just scribbling on a few texts
- Use images with the product names and primary keyword in the ALT text
- Include videos be it informational or a demonstration on how to use a product
- Add testimonials from satisfied clients to boost confidence
- A FAQ section for the general or commonly asked questions about the products
- Use unique title tags for product pages
The Bottom Line
Although every ecommerce business is different, you can still get more visitors to your website with the above ecommerce SEO optimization tips regardless of your line of business. If you need help on SEO services, including on-page optimization, content creation, and internal linking, get in touch with us today!