WordPress SEO the way to optimize the most popular platform for hosting blogs, pay sites, and other internet pages in the world. Over a third of all web content calls this massive site home. Entrepreneurs who are looking for a simple solution to their content hosting issues can take advantage of WordPress’ comprehensive services, user-friendly interfaces, and extensive third-party support.
Like other sites, your WordPress pages need to be optimized for internet search engines in order to be found by your potential customers. Optimizing for WordPress SEO is somewhat different than other sites. These steps will ensure that your WordPress site doesn’t get lost in the endless sea of similar commercial websites.
Build a Solid Foundation with WordPress SEO
WordPress SEO begins with your setup. Site developers understand the importance of SEO. In order to support good SEO results, WordPress integrates a number of optimization settings that make it easy to get started. Use these tips to ensure your site is ready for SEO optimization:
- Run a health check. Unhealthy websites compromise the safety of your visitors and can ruin your chances of converting them into paying customers. Check WordPress’ suggested technical requirements to ensure you’re using the latest version of PHP code. Also, check that your plug-ins and themes are up-to-date to avoid leaving your pages vulnerable to hackers and scammers.
- Convert your site to HTTPS. The S at the end means your site is secured by SSL encryption. On the search engines’ result pages, your site will come up with a little green symbol next to the link. This lets browsers know that your site is safe, which makes it more likely that they’ll visit.
- Think about your permalink structure. Default permalinks contain random strings of numbers, letters, and symbols to differentiate between pages. This is a perfectly functional way to organize your site. However, it can make it difficult for search engines to pick up your content. Change your permalink structure to include the article’s name and the posting date. This gives search engine bots more material to latch onto and increases your chances of being found.
If you aren’t technically inclined, choose a professional SEO service provider to walk you through the process of setting up your WordPress preferences.
Optimize Your WordPress SEO Content
The next step involves creating content for your pages. Your blogs, pages, and videos need to engage, inform, and entertain. Use these tips to ensure your content draws the right attention.
- Learn about your target demographic. What do they like to do with their spare time? How do your products and services solve common problems in their lives? What are their goals, desires, and interests beyond your products? Figure out what captures their attention to gain valuable ideas for content creation.
- Research keywords. Once you know what your customers are looking for, find some keywords and phrases that relate to those interests. Avoid general and overused phrases. Try to find unique word combinations that relate to your line of business.
- Write good content. It doesn’t matter how well your WordPress SEO is optimized if your visitors don’t read your content. Give them instructions, tips, and information that helps them make decisions, solve a problem, or evaluate potential products and services.
- Pay attention to headers and titles. Just like your permalinks, headers and titles are potential fodder for search engine bots. It also makes it easier for your readers to find the information they’re looking for.
- Don’t overdo it. Conventional wisdom says more is always better. In SEO, that isn’t necessarily true. Stuffing your content with keywords can produce sloppy copy that drives readers to another site.
- Set up a maintenance schedule. Periodically check your content to ensure that the information is still accurate. When your branding undergoes an update, be sure to look through your online content to ensure your words fall in line with your new public persona.
Content is the core of WordPress SEO. It’s important to invest in research and good production practices. A professional SEO service can make content production and management easier and more effective for frazzled entrepreneurs.
Organize Your Site with WordPress SEO
The goal of an SEO strategy is to get potential customers to your site. Once there, you can use other marketing techniques to keep them there long enough for your sales efforts to take effect. Organizing your site in a specific way makes WordPress SEO more effective.
- Provide a clear path through your site. Include a link to your online catalog, homepage, and contact information on every page to make it easy for readers to buy when the time is right.
- Use internal links. Add links to your other pages throughout your blog posts. This makes it easier for readers to research topics without leaving your sites. Use relevant anchor text so your visitors know exactly where the link will take them.
- Add categories and tags. If your site has a search function, tags and categories make it possible for readers to sift through massive amounts of information without spending a large amount of time clicking around.
- Carefully consider pagination. Pagination allows you to place content in the most favorable order. Most WordPress sites are set to automatically post and archive by date. This can leave your most popular content hidden.
- Optimize your site for mobile platforms. A growing number of internet users are using smartphones, tablets, and other internet-connected devices to access your information. Upgrade your technology to make your pages look better on mobile formats.
An organized site is easier to navigate, which makes it more likely that readers will spend time perusing your content.
Think Beyond Words
Content isn’t just the words on your site. Pictures, videos, and infographics are an integral part of a comprehensive SEO strategy. Optimize all your content to get the best results from your WordPress SEO.
- Use keywords in video titles and graphic descriptions. Since search engines don’t actually analyze your videos, this is an important part of getting picked up and cataloged.
- Optimize your descriptions. Keep the descriptions short and sweet but include enough keywords to ensure searchers can find it.
- Tag your content with related keywords. Avoid using irrelevant tags just to draw attention. If you’re caught, some search engines might exclude your content from their results pages.
- Use a provocative thumbnail to snag the attention of internet searchers.
- Choose clear and unique images. Many search engines can analyze still imagery and recognize visual components. Use sharp, well-composed images to ensure AI bots can figure out what they mean.
- Create meta descriptions. These short summaries are keyword-rich blurbs that give readers an idea of what to expect from your content. Add them to video descriptions and image captions.
- To gain the attention of search bots, use your image filename to describe the picture.
With the right WordPress SEO strategy, you can gain new customers, control your company’s public image, and make more sales. Don’t have the time, patience, or interest in delving into such a complicated subject? Find an SEO expert to help guide you through the optimization process.